Saturday, October 7, 2017

Week 5 Predictions


BY DYLAN STUMP

Here are my Week 4 NFL predictions, with a game by game breakdown...


Bills vs. Bengals:

While the Bills have started of the Sean McDermott era surprisingly strong, with a 3-1 record putting them in sole possession of 1st in their division, I think the underperforming Bengals are primed for an upset thanks to what has been a rejuvenated offense (and Andy Dalton) under new O.C. Bill Lazor.

Key Player: WR A.J. Green

My Pick: Bengals


Jets vs. Browns:

Looking at the trajectories of these two teams a quarter of the way through the season, I would have expected a reversal of fortune, with the Browns a frisky 2-2 and the Jets a winless bottom-feeder. That being said, I think it's a bit premature to bury the Browns as the worst team in the league, considering the significant injuries on both sides of the ball. One of those significant injuries, 1st overall pick Myles Garrett makes his regular season debut here and I think he is a wrecking ball against a less than stellar Jets O-line.

Key Player: DE Myles Garrett

My Pick: Browns


Panthers vs. Lions:

Fresh off a clutch victory against the Pats, and the best performance by Cam Newton since his 2015 MVP season, the Panthers come into this matchup with a lot of momentum. That being said, I still think they're a flawed team and the Lions a surprisingly balanced team who I fully expect to take care of business here and cement themselves as a real contender in the NFC.

Key Player: QB Matthew Stafford

My Pick: Lions


49ers vs. Colts:

Of the several gutter-bowl match-ups this week has to offer, I think this one might end up being the ugliest. Neither of these teams are going anywhere this season, but I like the winless 49ers to score their first victory of the season against this lousy Colts team with an underrated defense making life miserable for Jacoby Brissett.

Key Player: DE Solomon Thomas

My Pick: 49ers


Titans vs. Dolphins:

If Marcus Mariota doesn't play in this game, and it's looking like he won't, I find it impossible to predict a Matt Cassel lead Titans offense coming out victorious here even against an underperforming Dolphins team. Truly the worst QB matchup so far this season

Key Player: RB Jay Ajayi

My Pick: Dolphins


Chargers vs. Giants:

A matchup of the two most disappointing teams so far this season. While I saw the Giants struggles due to a poor O-line coming a mile a way, I'm shocked at how awful this talent-laden Chargers roster has been this season. The move to L.A. is going disastrously up to this point, and it's hard not to wonder how those external factors are affecting this team right now. All that considered, Melvin Ingram has been a lone bright spot for this team and I expect him and reigning Defensive Rookie of the Year Joey Bosa to have a field day against this lousy Giants O-line.

Key Player: DE Melvin Ingram

My Pick: Chargers


Cardinals vs. Eagles:

I remain skeptical of this Eagles team, currently in sole possession for first in the NFC East, for reasons I can't fully explain. That being said, I think they will take care of business against a middling Cardinals team.

Key Player: DE Brandon Graham

My Pick: Eagles


Jaguars vs. Steelers:

Four games into this NFL season and I still have no idea what the Jaguars are. In weeks 1 and 3 their Defense looked truly elite, but looked far more grounded in weeks 2 and 4. In spite of this being an odd-numbered game, I think the underrated Steelers defense beats up enough on Blake Bortles to secure a victory in what I fully expect to be a low scoring affair.

Key Player: DE Cameron Heyward

My Pick: Steelers


Seahawks vs. Rams:

I have been thoroughly unimpressed by the Seahawks up to this point in the season, the offense caught fire in the second half last week, but that was against a lousy Colts team. This is the week where we will have to truly embrace the new-look Rams as a legitimate threat in the NFC and the favorite to win this division.

Key Player: RB Todd Gurley

My Pick: Rams


Ravens vs Raiders:

The ugliness of this slate of match-ups is growing ever more soul-crushing. Even with EJ Manuel under center due to Derek Carr's injury, I expect the Raiders offense to finally snap together and muster up just enough offense to counter a rudderless Ravens attack.

Key Player: RB Marshawn Lynch

My Pick: Raiders


Packers vs. Cowboys:

One of the better match-ups of the week between two classic franchises. That being said, both of these teams look a far-cry from their counterparts who played in the playoffs last season. Aaron Rodgers is supposed to be getting his two starting tackles back this week, and that should do wonders to rectify their O-line woes. I'm taking the Packers in a shoot-out.

Key Player: QB Aaron Rodgers

My Pick: Packers


Chiefs vs Texans:

The light at the end of the tunnel in a week of otherwise dismal match-ups, here we are greeted to a showdown of currently the two best teams in the AFC, in my opinion. While the only undefeated team left, the Chiefs are by no means a juggernaut and I expect them to finally meet their match against a Texans team fully coming into their own with rookie phenom Deshaun Watson under center.

Key Player: QB Deshaun Watson

My Pick: Texans


Vikings vs. Bears:

My prediction here is somewhat conditional on whether or not Sam Bradford returns to the lineup against a Bears team that will now feature rookie QB Mitchell Trubisky under center. I expect Trubisky to show some flashes in this game, but he is not helped by the worst receiving core in the league and a matchup against one of the most dominant defenses in the game.

Key Player: CB Xavier Rhodes

My Pick: Vikings


THURSDAY NIGHT WEEK 6


Eagles vs. Panthers:

An intriguing matchup between two teams I'm unsure about up to this point in the season. I think Christian McCaffrey has been prime for a breakout, and I'm going to bet it happens in this prime time matchup

Key Player: RB Christian McCaffrey

My Pick: Panthers  


No comments:

Post a Comment